Skip to main content

How being bilingual has shaped my view of the world



Quote of the week:
“The knowledge of the world does not reside in the minds of old men, but in old books.”
 Rafael Martinez

You have heard it before. Your Spanish or French teachers have always tried to emphasize how "important" it is to learn a new language. They talk about the writing skills, the "great expansion" of vocabulary that you get, and the importance of communicating with the people of other cultures. Sure. That's something that you get when you learn a new language. However, I would argue that being bilingual isn't important because of any of these things.
click for link to image credit

I would say being bilingual is so much more than that.


Being bilingual opens your world to a new way of understanding things. Not just through talking to other people, but also through reading.

When I was about three, my mother gave me a book of short stories in Spanish from the famous author Rafael Pombo. These were children's books that contained valuable lessons. One of my favorites was about this tadpole, Rin-Rin, he didn't follow his mother's instructions to not leave the house  and he went to a party. Well, let's just say poor Rin-Rin got eaten by a cat... While for the rest of the year I was afraid I would die if I ever walked out of my house, it did make me a much more obedient child.
However, after that, I did not like reading.I really thought I never would.

International book fair at night, Corferias, Bogotá, Colombia
Later on, when I was about seven, my mother (hoping I would change my mind about reading)  took me to what is considered one of the most important book festivals in the world, Bogotá's annual book festival. There, they had books from all over the world! This fair was filled with books, graphic novels, artists, performances, and world flags in every corner. It was truly amazing to see how the world was connected by reading and literature.
The 2013 flyer for the book fair
Performers at the festival

Corferias, where the book fair is hosted
Later on, I learned English, and my love for reading was expanded even more as I expanded the possibilities of the worlds I could get to know. furthermore, reading in both languages has really helped me look at things not just in an American point of view, but also in a truly Colombian, Spanish, Argentinean, Peruvian, and sometimes even a Brazilian point of view.

This is why I really encourage people to learn a new language. Because there is so much more to other countries than what you can see in the news or in history classes. Behind every country lies a unique culture, that is usually better seen and expressed in the country's native language.



Comments

  1. Nice post. Great reasons to be bilingual. I am always interested by the ability of people like you to THINK in two languages, and to switch between them at will in order to better understand any problem that you face. Soooo cool.

    On format: Your post is congested and confusing. I would probably NOT use the GIF, because I couldn't even concentrate on the words because of it. And if you are going to have all these images. Better to break the text, rather than wrap the text.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sort of interesting because people tend to ask what language I think in, but when I think about it i honestly can't tell. It's kind of like a switch. Like, when I hear people talking in English I unconsciously start thinking in English, but when people talk to me in Spanish it is the other way around. It's weird. I will fix the format when I finish my next post though! Thanks Mr. Brewer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Businessman

'And what good does it do you to be rich?' 'It makes it possible for me to buy more stars, if any are discovered.'" -From The Little Prince, by Antoine De Saint-Exupery  Image source Three and two make five. Five and seven make twelve. Twelve and three make fifteen. Good morning. Fifteen and seven make twenty-two. Twenty-two and six make twenty-eight.If you have never read The Little Prince, I know two things about you: First, you have absolutely no idea why I am counting. Second, you should slap yourself in the face and read this mind-blowing classic! Just kidding I love you, random internet reader. So why was I counting you may ask? I am quoting a businessman from the little prince. He is a guy so focused on counting and counting his millions upon millions of stars he owns, that he never actually stops to look at them. In fact, he doesn't even stop to light his cigarette or acknowledge a new visitor. He was always so busy with "matters of conseq

Our Secret Thirst For Violence

Quote of the week: "Do you know why people like violence? It is because it feels good. Humans find violence deeply satisfying. But remove the satisfaction, and the act becomes... hollow" -The Imitation Game Our Attraction to Watching School Fights It   was a Friday like any other at Carrollton High School. The cafeteria was  bustling with life.  Since it was one of the last lunch shifts of the day, you could always sense the hunger and unused energy of the students.  Our hungry classmates were trying to make the most our of the 30 minutes of free time, before having to go back back to the drudgery of lectures and classwork. My lunch table was discussing the new debate topic, unaware of what was about to happen just outside the glass doors that led to the picnic table outside. Doctor Albertus, our school principal, was sitting in the corner of the cafeteria right behind the booth we were sitting in. It was his job to make sure everything was in order. All of a

Miss -information and Dice Games...

Quotes of the day: "I am America, I am the part you won't recognize, but get used to me." - Muhammad Ali  "History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it." - Winston Churchill "Pure mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas." -  History Books and Probability Theory  Prompt: “Some areas of knowledge seek to describe the world, whereas others seek to transform it.” Explore this claim with reference to history and one other area of knowledge. Before we begin…I have one very cliche question to ask you: If you could meet one historical figure and ask them anything, who would it be, and what would you ask? Go on, answer it! Now… tell me about this person, is it male? Female? If you mentioned your historical figure to any random passerby, would they know who you are talking about? If you came up with a woman who is not Queen Elizabeth, congratulations! You are one of the few who even mentioned a woman at all. L